• DECA’s first meeting is August 30 at 8:30 a.m. or 4:15 p.m. in C243

• Boys soccer tryouts (for those not currently in the class) are Nov. 28-30 after school on the turf field. See Coach Kaiser in room C112

• CTE Center’s FISD mock trial team will hold an information meeting over the try-out process on August 31 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the CTE Center

• Monday is the first day of school with 1st period beginning at 9:00 a.m.

HOSA hosting blood drive Thursday

HOSA students will be helping Carter BloodCare with the management of Thursday's blood drive. Students interested in donating can sign-up on the sheet located in the rotunda.

Jordan Klein

Melody Tavallaee, Staff Reporter

HOSA and Carter BloodCare are joining forces to host an on-campus blood drive Thursday with students helping to organize and facilitate the event.

“We’re just going to be signing people in outside the gyms, making sure they have their forms signed and stuff like that,” HOSA officer Abby Dasgupta said. “After that, the donors have to go through the process to determine whether they’re suitable to donate or not and if they donate, they can take a break and eat some food and one of our volunteers will walk them back to class.”

For sophomore Kanika Kappalayil, Thursday will be her first time donating and it’s an occasion she is is looking forward to experiencing.

“I’m pretty excited to give my blood since it’s my first year being a sophomore and being allowed to and it’s cool to give back to the community in your own personal way,” Kappalayil said. “A lot of times, blood banks don’t have the necessary blood types that they need so there’s not a lot of blood available but it’s easily accessible if you have high school students donating and we can create a safer environment for hospital patients”

Even for some nervous first time donors such as junior Rabita Rahman, it’s an opportunity to better the lives of others and help those in need.

“I’m nervous because this is my first time donating blood so I’m not sure how it’s going to go,”  Rahman said. “I’m donating with the hopes of being able to help someone in need and make a difference in someone’s life because countless people need blood on a daily basis for various reasons so the more people to donate, the better.”

HOSA officers running the event also have advice to ensure donors have an easy and comfortable experience while giving blood.

“Eat a big meal beforehand and afterwards,” Dasgupta said. “If you feel lightheaded or woozy, just come back to the gym and take advantage of the snacks and drinks that Carter BloodCare provide.”