• Redhawk Rally is Saturday at 6:00 p.m. on the football field

• Monday is the first day of school with 1st period beginning at 9:00 a.m.

Review: Taverna Rossa

Guest reviewer Emma Marom recommends Taverna Rossa, a restaurant that gives off a New York vibe.

Emma Marom

Emma Marom, Guest Contributor

On a warm night, driving by dozens of the same old restaurants on Preston Road, there is a refreshing experience in finding a non-major chain restaurant that’s worth a repeat visit.

Taverna Rossa, a place that mixes the enjoyment of freshly made, unique food with funky live music performances, is that place. Blending the wonderful components of pizza and the feeling of a metropolitan New York, with brick and wood being the main choice of material, Plano’s Taverna Rossa is a strip mall surprise.

Of course the menu features the main star of pizza, but also things like pasta, sandwiches and a lot of cheesy appetizers. All the food is delicious and affordable. There are the usual pizza place cuisines, but also new and uncommon ones like the Local Goat & Fig Pizza.

The Local Goat & Fig Pizza is a pizza made of crispy bacon (which can be removed on request), local goat cheese, fresh mozzarella, dried figs, balsamic glaze and torn basil. It is a perfect mix of sweet and salty, recommended for anyone who likes contrasting flavors.

If the selection of meal items isn’t enough, there are a couple of satisfying dessert options like a deep dish chocolate cookie and a stout cake.

For people who would rather a morning meal, there is also a brunch event every Sunday from 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., featuring breakfast pizzas, toast and many surprising options, like “Green Eggs and Ham,” which includes green herb olive oil, scrambled eggs, Canadian bacon (removed upon request), and double cream brie which makes for the morning crunch.

If you’ve ever wanted to eat pizza in an awesome New York like environment, this is the closest experience in the area.