Rhythm Flight puts percussion in spotlight

Pictured: the percussion program practices in the band hall. In order to prepare for an upcoming concert on April 29, the Redhawk percussion ensemble is meeting each Thursday morning. This has given junior Kathryn Hung opportunity to play alongside the rest of her full section, something she believes doesnt happen very often.

Kennedy Williams

Pictured: the percussion program practices in the band hall. In order to prepare for an upcoming concert on April 29, the Redhawk percussion ensemble is meeting each Thursday morning. This has given junior Kathryn Hung opportunity to play alongside the rest of her full section, something she believes doesn’t happen very often.

Kennedy Williams, WTV Staff Reporter

The percussion program as well as the Vandeventer percussion program will present its free concert, Rhythm Flight, Thursday at 7 p.m. in the auditorium.

“[The concert] is primarily an opportunity for students to play literature written specifically for percussion, featuring them as individual players and in smaller groups,” percussion director Robert Brannock said. “Band music is often about the whole, but percussion ensembles often give more focus and attention to the individual. It also gives us an opportunity to explore several musical styles within one concert program.”

The program will consist of a variety of music ranging from rock and pop to classical styles, as well as a bass drum ensemble, Latin, four players on one marimba, and more.

“This percussion concert needs more time put into it than a band concert because we are the show,” senior percussionist Randa Shaqaidef said. “It’s exciting playing for an audience and having them appreciate the work we have put in.”