• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday, August 16

Orchestra students set to audition

The All-Region orchestra clinic and concert has been moved to Independence High School.

Rahmin Jawaid

Lucas Barr, Staff Reporter

Orchestra students are gearing up for auditions Thursday and Friday that determine orchestra placement for the 2017-18 school year.

“Every student in orchestra, with the exception of the students in the top group have to re-audition at the end of the school year for placement for the following year,” orchestra director Julie Blackstock said. “That includes the incoming middle schoolers.”

There are two levels of audition music with students trying out with the advanced level music  eligible to be placed in the top two orchestras.

“The students that are auditioning for the advanced level have to learn two to three full length excerpts of professional symphonies, and about five three-octave scales,” Blackstock said. “Students for the intermediate level have one or two excerpts at a slower tempo, and then just two-octave scales.”

With the orchestra directors stressing preparation for the audition should not be rushed or done at the last second, freshman violinist Caroline Attmore says she has been practicing for at least an hour every night.

“To prepare for auditions, I look at the music with my teacher and play it repeatedly each night for about an hour and a half,” Attmore said. “I [do this] every night until the day before the audition where I relax and prepare myself mentally. I usually hope I get the position in the orchestra that I worked hard for.”

Blackstock says the orchestra directors are looking for various qualities in each student’s audition.

“A good audition would include good tone, good intonation, correct rhythm, musicianship, a well prepared audition that the judges can tell was prepared,” Blackstock said. “Regardless of where you’re placed, you’re still in orchestra and we’ll have a great time and a great school year.”

Lucas Barr, Staff Reporter
Lucas Barr is a sophomore in his second year of newspaper. He is a big Texas Rangers fan and can normally be found attending Frisco Roughriders games during the baseball season. Raising Cane’s Chicken Fingers is his favorite restaurant and a significant part of his life. He plays the violin and piano and is always...
Rahmin Jawaid, Staff Reporter
Rahmin Jawaid is always smiling and ready for new adventures. She is stoked to be a senior and is excited for what the future holds for her and the rest of the Class of 2016. As a California  native born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, Rahmin can occasionally become a milk tea...