• 14 wrestlers advance to this weekend's regional meet at Independence High School

• Swim team takes part in state meet Friday and Saturday in Austin

• Girls' basketball began playoff run with 51-42 win Monday against McKinney North

• The WTV Daily Update named Student Television Network Southwest Regional Broadcast Excellence winner for Best Daily Taped Show

Girls tee off in chase of championship

Jordan Klein

Jordan Klein, Staff Reporter

The girls’ varsity golf team is taking its best shot at the state tournament this week at the Wolfdancer Golf Club in Bastrop. With the goal of winning the state championship, the girls’ varsity golf team has been sticking to their normal practice schedule.

The state tournament takes place on Monday and Tuesday, with the 12 best teams in the 5A division along with individual qualifiers competing.

Although the state tournament differs from regionals, districts, and seasonal tournaments in the aspects of competition, pressure, weather, and course difficulty, all players are still required to walk and play 18 holes each day, follow all the rules, and scoring remains the same as usual.

“I think right now we’re gonna do really well with the amount of experience we have,” head coach Shannon Glidwell said. “We have five who’ve competed at the state tournament and some from multiple years so they’ll still be nervous because you’re always nervous when you play in any kind of state championship but they’ll be used to it. there’ll be a lot of fans and spectators there to watch but the girls will be ready they’ve got a lot of experience on their side.”  

While most of the players participating in the tournament have competed at state in past years, for one golfer this is a completely new experience.

“I’m really excited about it,” freshman Sona Shah said. “I think it’s going to be a really good experience and the course is really nice i’m excited to walk it.”