Opinion: let people be who they want to be

Guest columnist Emma Marom shares her thoughts on some phrases that are commonly heard in the halls of the school.

Brian Higgins

Emma Marom, Guest Contributor

“Ew, that’s so gay.”

Walking down the hallway and hearing people use others sexuality as an insult and reason to demean is one of the most disappointing experiences of high school life. Seeing other members of the LGBT community being afraid to be themselves because they’re scared to be bullied and made fun of, or hearing someone who isn’t a part of the LGBT society put down and stereotype people is a behavioral issue and it needs to change.

As a supportive friend of the LGBT community, I find that many people don’t exactly understand what it’s like to be different and get bullied or harassed for not fitting a norm in society. Even though people still believe that society is more accepting than it was 20 or 30 years ago, people are still getting hurt by their decision to love who they want to, still not being accepted as a normal part of society.

There is also a big issue of stereotypes in the LGBT community, such as tagging certain items of clothing or certain behaviors of being “gay,” or putting transgender people on spot by saying “You’re so pretty for a trans girl.” Placing someone into a category because of their sexuality, without their permission, is purely disrespectful and needs to stop.

The only way to make the LGBT community feel welcome is to leave them alone and stop commenting when it’s not your place to do so. Let people be who they want and worry about your own life instead of other people’s. If there was a straight couple or a cisgender person walking down the hallway, no one would stop them to tell them they’re “just good friends” or “brave for expressing themselves.” It shouldn’t be different for any other couple or person.