• Thursday is Pink Out Pep Rally and football game at the Ford Center

• Red Ribbon Week is this week (Oct. 23-27) with dress up themes every day

• Tennis team is the area champion after beating Texas High 10-6 Thursday

The hidden price of Sodapalooza

Launched+in+early+May%2C+Sodapalooza+cups+are+available+for+%2411.99+%28%249.99+with+a+RaceTrac+app+coupon%29+that+allow+customers+unlimited+drink+refills+until+July+31.+But+while+most+people+think+the+cups+are+a+great+deal%2C+school+nurse+Emily+Mikesa+thinks+too+many+refills+could+have+health+costs.+
Launched in early May, Sodapalooza cups are available for $11.99 ($9.99 with a RaceTrac app coupon) that allow customers unlimited drink refills until July 31. But while most people think the cups are a great deal, school nurse Emily Mikesa thinks too many refills could have health costs.

Aliza Porter

Aliza Porter

Aliza Porter, Staff Reporter

Sodapalooza is here and cups are popping up everywhere from students to staff as RaceTrac’s annual drink promotion is here until July 31 with anybody that buys the $11.99 cups ($9.99 with coupon on RaceTrack app) getting unlimited drink refills.

“They’re beneficial because they’re easy to get, it only costs $10, and it’s on the way to school so it’s really time efficient,” sophomore Andrew Sade said. “It’s worth the money.”

The price may be right for students, but it could come at a cost says school nurse Emily Mikeska.

“The biggest concern is that there’s obviously a high high sugar content in all sodas and so that’s not good for you,” Mikeska said. “It’s a lot of calories so it can impact your, there can be weight gain, there can be natural sugar highs from drinking too much. Long term effects, too, from drinking soda can even effect a students’ teeth. Too much sugar on your teeth and not brushing them reguarly, that can also factor in on cavities and things of that nature. I just think it can certainly, too much sugar can slow you down and disturb your focus and thinking.”

In 2016, Sodapalooza customers drank an estimated 1,242,812 gallons which means the health of Sodapalooza customers could be at risk depending on how wise they are with their cups. Mikeska says students should think about how they use their cups.

“Just one of those a day is more than the recommended allowance of sugar so maybe you can fill it with water, or non-sugary type drinks,” Mikeska said. “At least alternate that, but I would have you think about what is the typical sugar content that this contains.”