• Thursday is Pink Out Pep Rally and football game at the Ford Center

• Red Ribbon Week is this week (Oct. 23-27) with dress up themes every day

• Tennis team is the area champion after beating Texas High 10-6 Thursday

Filed under Sports, Sports Showcase

From coach to counselor

Head girls' soccer coach Cissy Blaisure will be transitioning from coaching to counseling.

Keegan Williams

Keegan Williams

After starting the girls’ soccer program when the school opened in 2006, Cissy Blaisure is handing the reigns over to new head coach Lyz Mokler. However Blaisure isn’t leaving the nest; instead, she’s taking on a new position.

Spending a year and a half taking extra classes on top of being a full time teacher, coach, and mom, Blaisure recently received her master’s degree and will be a school counselor for the 2017-18 school year. 

After coaching the team since the school opened in 2006, Blaisure finished her last season with an 8-7 record.

“I’m really excited about starting something new,” Blaisure said. “I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time.”

Blaisure waited to make the transition until her daughters were out of high school to put her plan in action.

“I naturally have been interested in that for years and when I started pursuing my masters degree in school counseling that really decided it for me,” Blaisure said. “I knew that I wanted to impact kids lives in a different way instead of being in the classroom and coaching.”

Taking over for departing counselor Karen Wood, Blaisure had a lot to juggle as she prepared for her switch.

“It was difficult balancing it all because there were times during the season that I was also taking three or four masters classes and I was interning in the counseling office during my conference period so it was a lot,” Blaisure said.

Blaisure’s departure means an adjustment period for returning players, but knowing she will still be on campus is comforting.

“The new coach, I’m excited to see what she’s like but I’m scared to try out for a new coach,” sophomore Macey Edmunds said. “It’s going to be really weird because the past two years it’s been just Blaisure and it’s just going to be different but I’m glad that she’s still going to be here.”

Blaisure will not be leaving the school, but just taking another position as a counselor.

Even though she is excited about her new job, Blaisure is going to miss some things.

“I will miss seeing the girls everyday, I’ve been coaching for 24 years and I will definitely miss the game on a daily basis but mostly the players,” Blaisure said. “Unfortunately I won’t be part of the soccer program anymore, but I will still be their biggest fan.”