• 8th grade Redhawk Rally is Jan. 29 6-8 p.m.

• Campus Course Fair is Jan. 25 from 12:10 - 2:35 p.m.

Football gears up for fall with Tuesday’s spring game

Football+kicks+off+its+2017+season+on+Friday+against+Wakeland+starting+at+7+p.m.+at+Memorial+Stadium+but+Wednesday+is+the+last+day+fans+can+buy+season+tickets.+
Football kicks off its 2017 season on Friday against Wakeland starting at 7 p.m. at Memorial Stadium but Wednesday is the last day fans can buy season tickets.

Mia Ricketts

Mia Ricketts

Football is back as the team gears up for its annual spring game Tuesday at 5:00 p.m. on the football field.

We hope to make the playoffs and be the first team to do that in a while,”

— junior quarterback Carson Morris

“I think the way we’ve been practicing we are definitely ahead of where we were last year,” junior quarterback Carson Morris said. “I think that it’s good because we can work on different things.”

Not making the playoffs since 2010, the team hopes to change that this fall.

“Our expectations are always high,” Morris said. “We hope to make the playoffs and be the first team to do that in  a while.”

Tuesday’s intrasquad game will help the team understand what needs to be worked on before the season begins August 26 against Wakeland.

“We can see our strengths and weakness on film because the eye in the sky doesn’t lie,” Morris said. “So we always know what we have to work on and we try to improve that each day.”

We can see our strengths and weakness on film because the eye in the sky doesn’t lie,”

— junior quarterback Carson Morris

Starting the season with a District 13-5A game for the second year in a row, the spring game will provide a progress check for the team.

“Offensive wise we are working on running our routes and getting off the ball,” junior Jordan Jones said. “And defensively we are doing pretty well they just need to work on some tackling.”

Offense, defense and special teams is what the spring game is all about, but according to Jones, sometimes bonding is as important as the plays and the players.

“If we can build a stronger relationship than last year then that will help our team as a whole,” Jones said. “And just lay out for every teammate that you have.”