• Redhawk Rally is Saturday at 6:00 p.m. on the football field

• Monday is the first day of school with 1st period beginning at 9:00 a.m.

Filed under A&E, Showcase

Singing at state

Under the leadership of choir director Bruce Stevenson, seven choir students are competing in the Texas State Solo-Ensemble Contest at UT Austin on Saturday.

Kyle Strickland

Kyle Strickland

Seven choir students are heading to Austin on Saturday where they will begin performing at 3:50 p.m. in the Texas State Solo-Ensemble Contest at UT Austin where they be critiqued on technique, style, diction, vocalism, and energy amongst other things.

It will be tough but it will be worth it,”

— sophomore Jessica Gordon

“The students sing their selection in front of a judge,” choir director Bruce Stevenson said. “At the conclusion of the singing, most judges will give some feedback or helpful instruction about pitch, interpretation, rhythm, vowels, or something else. They are usually very helpful to the students.”

Sophomore Jessica Gordon says the competition will be well worth it and give the choir an outlet to showcase their hard work.

“What I’m looking forward to the most is the feedback I will get from the judges,” Gordon said. “The judges are usually professors that have lots of experience in music, and their comments will be helpful for future competitions. It will be tough but it will be worth it.”

Preparations for the competition involved repetitive practice, but Stevenson believes his students are more than ready.

Choir has really helped me use what I love to do and make it a part of my life just like school and work,”

— senior Emily Swinnea

“These students have been practicing these songs all spring, and have already sung them in a Solo and Ensemble Contest here in our region,” Stevenson said. “I’ve worked with them, and their voice teachers have worked with them, so by this point there has been a great deal of preparation and practice.”

For senior Emily Swinnea, Saturday’s competition is the culmination of process that has helped her become more confident.

“Choir has really helped me use what I love to do and make it a part of my life just like school and work,” senior Emily Swinnea said. “It has helped me overcome my fears and be more comfortable and confident in my own skin. This will help me at my competition because I have been doing it for a long time and I know what to expect. I am confident in my abilities which makes it more enjoyable.”

The seven choir students taking part in Saturday’s Texas State Solo-Ensemble Contest are: Andrea Cobos, Emma Crampton, Merlyn George, Jessica Gordon, Kirsten Mallari, Jessie Rho and Emily Swinnea.