• Tennis wins Bi-District Championship beating McKinney North 10-4

• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Missing school: what’s excused and what isn’t

Students+that+miss+part+of+a+day+or+several+days+must+put+their+absence+documentation+in+this+bin+located+on+the+attendance+counter+in+the+front+office.+
Students that miss part of a day or several days must put their absence documentation in this bin located on the attendance counter in the front office.

Neha Perumalla

Neha Perumalla

Kennedy Williams, WTV Staff Reporter

The start of a new school year brings questions about attendance as students are required to attend a class at least 90 percent of the days the class is offered in order to receive credit for that class.

However, there are cases in which a student can miss a class and have it excused. 

Among the events that can be an excused absence:

• Being sick
  • Documented doctor or dentists appointments
  • Religious holy days
  • Required court appearances
  • College visits

Students must have a written note or email signed by a parent/guardian explaining their reason for absence within three days of their return to school.

If a student is absent for personal illness for more than four days, the student must provide an official statement from a physician or health clinic that verifies their absence and a student must receive approval from principal Ashley Rainwater for a college visit.

In addition to providing a valid email or note concerning their absence, a student is also required to complete any make-up work based on the policies of each class that he or she missed.

Meanwhile there are absences that are unexcused such as non-school related vacations and trips, work, and non-school sponsored athletic events and programs.

Students must note that both excused and unexcused absences count towards the ninety percent attendance policy.

If the student fails to meet this requirement by missing five days of any class period or 10 school days total, the student has the option of either attending Saturday school or detention prior to the end of the semester to gain credit for the class or classes in question.

If a student then fails to attend the necessary summer school or detention, he or she will not receive credit for the class or classes missed.

Students, parents, and guardians can get more information on the Frisco ISD site. 

Kennedy Williams, WTV Staff Reporter

Kennedy is a senior who’s starting her final year of broadcast journalism. She plans to become an anesthesiologist and continue to drum as a side hustle. In addition to Wingspan, Kennedy is the NHS Chapter President and drumline captain of the band. She believes that she may have been born into the wrong time period, and she has yet to find one person on campus that has a music taste remotely similar to hers. This year, Kennedy’s making a pledge to herself to go as stress free as possible and live in the moment…hopefully without senioritis kicking in.

Contact Kennedy: [email protected]

Neha Perumalla, WTV Executive Producer

Neha Perumalla is a senior who was born in Pittsburgh, PA. She is dedicated to Wingspan, making sure every shot she takes is up to par. Even though Neha always opens up her “beauty parlor” during class, she never fails to produce flawless stories. In addition to Wingspan, Neha is a part of various clubs such as HOSA, FNHS, NAHS, NHS, Key Club, and Red Rhythm. Her hobbies include collecting keychains from various parts of the world, filming & editing, and reading the classics. One of her favorite classic comic books is the Archie comics, and she was over the moon when the show Riverdale, a spin off the Archie comics, was created. Neha’s zodiac sign is Gemini, and ironically her favorite makeup brand is “Too Faced.” Her most prized possession is her hair, being over two feet long, and she doesn’t let ANYBODY touch it. She may be shorter than basically everybody, with her height of 4’9”, but she never fails to intimidate everybody.

Contact Neha: [email protected]