Football falls to Wakeland 51-17

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

• Trailing 35-3 at the half, the Redhawks take the field to start the second half against Wakeland Friday, Sept. 1 at Memorial Stadium.

• The football team huddles up with Coach Burtch prior to game time.

• Senior Blake Battle takes the field as a corner on the Varsity team.

• Senior quarterback Carson Morris watches the game from the sidelines as he waits to go back in.

• Junior Myron Huff and senior Javon Greene take a break before heading back on the field.

• Josh Burtch stands alongside teammates as the Wolverines take the lead in the first half.

• Sophomore Keavon Wright gets direction from head coach Chris Burtch before taking the field.

• Senior Jordan Jones takes the ball down the field to bring the team closer to scoring.

• Blake Battle sprints down the field as he watches Wakeland to prevent an interception.

• Senior Javon Greene stretches from the sideline as he watches the Wolverines take the win 51-17.

The 2017 season didn’t go the way anybody on the football team would have liked as the Redhawks fell to District 13-5A rival Wakeland, 51-17 on Friday night at Memorial Stadium.

“It was tough,” head football coach Christopher Burtch said. “We knew that it might be. We were a little short handed but I was pleased with our guys and I was pleased with the way they went out and played hard. Obviously we came up on the short end of the stick but pretty pleased with our effort. We need to execute a little bit better and need to tackle a little better on defense but for the most part, I thought that we took steps forward.”

Starting the season with a district loss isn’t ideal, but players such as sophomore Corbin Ridlehuber think the team played better as the game wore on.

“I felt like we got off to a rough start,” Ridlehuber said. “We got better as we went on, towards the very end. As a team, we could have come out stronger and come out as more of a team rather than individuals. I’m just trying to do my best and help my team anyway I can.”