Setting up to win district

Watching+the+action+on+the+court%2C+members+of+the+volleyball+team+sit+on+the+bench+in+a+game+earlier+this+year.+The+team+takes+on+Independence+Friday+at+Heritage.+

Carter Brock

Watching the action on the court, members of the volleyball team sit on the bench in a game earlier this year. The team takes on Independence Friday at Heritage.

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

With the playoffs on their mind, the volleyball team takes aim at another win Friday night when they travel to Heritage to take on the Coyotes beginning  at 5:30 p.m.

“I pretty confident being in districts,” junior Ashley Pennington said. “I think just Reedy and Wakeland, if we can beat one of them I think it’ll be a huge confidence booster going into the rest of the season so hopefully we can take down Heritage. I think we’ll do well tonight. We’ve been working really hard and doing a lot of extra things together so I think we’ll do good.”

With a 9-2 record so far, volleyball is on the road to win districts.

“It’s been a great season,” head volleyball coach U’iLani Womble said. “Really proud of the girls, they’ve worked really hard exceeding some expectations still we keep setting expectations so they keep having to stay on their toes but they keep reaching what we’re setting. I expect to continue to work towards our playoff goals. I expect to continue to win and to get our kids to continue improving as the season goes on.”

Only having three seniors on varsity this year, a variety of ages has brought advantages.

“We have a really good bond as a team,” Pennington said. “We all kind of have the same goal and are just working together really well and hopefully that will give us the upper hand to win those really hard games. It’s cool that it’s all spread out so we don’t have a big group of all seniors that are all together. It makes us different which is good. We’ve been really successful so far with it so I like it.”

Volleyball has began to step up practices in preparation for some of the toughest competitors in districts, Wakeland and Reedy.

“We’ve been practicing really hard and trying to develop our skills so we can do better the rest of the season,” sophomore Lauren Ransom said. “Wakeland and Reedy are definitely our top competitors. We lost to Wakeland our very first game but we plan to beat them the 2nd time around in district. We haven’t played Reedy yet.”

After beating 6A state ranked team, Byron Nelson, 3-2, confidence is high for the remainder of the season and playoffs.

“That’s what we are here for. Our goal every season that we start, is that we want to get to the playoffs we want to make a deep run and see how far we can go, extend our season as long as we can.”