From coach to counselor

Mahin Mubeen, Guest Contributor

Cissy Blaisure is a familiar face at the school as a former girls’ soccer coach and speech teacher, but is taking on a new role this year as counselor. Wingspan caught up with her to talk about her new position.

Wingspan: What made you want to become a counselor?

Blaisure: “I knew after coaching and teaching for quite a few years that I was drawn to helping the students and athletes work through struggles. As a coach, we have students every year that we have to mentor who have struggles that others may not have. It is something I have wanted to do for a long time. [I] just needed to complete my Master’s Degree for it.”

Wingspan: What’s the best advice you can give to someone?

Blaisure: “Don’t sweat the small stuff and hold off on an immediate reaction to a problem. Ultimately, time will heal, but we all have to do the work it takes to make a difference in our own lives.”

Wingspan: You get an inside look on someone’s life as they tell you their problems. How do you relate to them ?

Blaisure: “I myself did not grow up in a ‘perfect’ household. My life experiences have helped me understand, and having been a teacher and coach for 23 years helps as well. In addition, I am a mom of two girls who are now in college, so I can relate, as I’ve been there before in many ways.”

Wingspan: What do you like about your job?

Blaisure: “I really like having the ability to provide support to many who do not have support in their lives. I also like to help with graduation paths and the academic side. There is never a dull day in the office.”

Wingspan:  What does school counseling mean to you?

Blaisure: “School counseling means support and advocacy to all students, helping them academically and providing a safe place for anyone who needs my support.”

Wingspan: What do you think is the most important characteristics of a school counselor ?

Blaisure: “Listening and empathy as far as the emotional side. For the academic side, encouraging them to take ownership of their collegiate path and not having them rely on their parents to do it all for them.”

Wingspan : What is your opinion on bullying ?

Blaisure: “Here is my opinion: Bullying comes from insecure people trying to hurt others to make themselves feel better. Being a bully is a sad way to be, as eventually, you will lose the attention you seek and you will be left with no one. For those being bullied, it is an awful feeling to be embarrassed by others and made to feel like you are worthless. However, you can beat them and you can advocate for yourself and rise way above them. Bullies are weak.”