Bathroom passes raise sanitary concerns

Carrying+a+lanyard+with+a+small+cowbell+attached%2C+junior+Savannah+West+makes+her+way+to+the+bathroom+using+the+bathroom+pass+of+student+council+sponsor+Julie+Anderson.++

Wade Glover

Carrying a lanyard with a small cowbell attached, junior Savannah West makes her way to the bathroom using the “bathroom pass” of student council sponsor Julie Anderson.

Students have seen the introduction of bathroom passes in various classes this year, which can range from a piece of paper to random objects that students must take with them to the bathroom during class.

The likelihood of it [bathroom passes] not being sanitary is high,

— school nurse Emily Mikeska

“I use bathroom passes to keep track of who’s out of the classroom and where they’re at, basically,” English teacher Suzanne Shuping said. “And because we have to [use bathroom passes].”

Bathroom passes are required by the administration, but some students and staff are concerned about how sanitary they are.

“If you look at it that it’s been handled by multiple people at different times, that the likelihood of it not being sanitary is high,” nurse Emily Mikeska said. “If it’s not something that can be cleaned regularly, then I guess it would just be considered highly unsanitary.”

Students using the bathroom might not be able to hold the bathroom pass resulting it being left on the floor or somewhere even more germ-ridden.

They seem really gross in general,

— sophomore Bella Devega

“Bathroom passes seem pretty unsanitary,” sophomore Bella Devega said. “Multiple kids take them to the bathroom everyday, and they seem really gross in general.”

With the start of flu season here, students should try to avoid unsanitary situations or risk falling ill.

“It’s probably not the best idea, I do think that what you can do is by the person who handles it, that, as long as you are washing your hands frequently is your best protection,” Mikeska said. “Or, you know, using hand sanitizer throughout the day protects you because there are lots of other things you’re gonna touch.”