• No school Friday for Staff Development Day

• No school Feb. 18 for President's Day

Girls’ team begins basketball practice

Tipping+off+its+2017-18+season+with+its+first+practice+Wednesday+morning%2C+the+girls%27+basketball+team+is+looking+to+continue+its+streak+of+playoff+appearances.+

Girls’ team begins basketball practice

Tipping off its 2017-18 season with its first practice Wednesday morning, the girls' basketball team is looking to continue its streak of playoff appearances.

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

Basketball season is officially underway as the girls’ team held its first official practice on Wednesday as teams across Texas were eligible to start practice outside of school hours by UIL.

“We enjoy the process,” head girls basketball coach Ross Reedy said. “Nothing is accomplished in the span of a day, it’s obviously over the course of a season. So we’re going to look at the things we’ve done well and things that we can proceed and move forward, and the areas that we need to polish up things, we’ll do that. We’re not going to be making any giant leaps from day to day, like I said it’s a process.”

With class of 2017 graduates Jordan Hamilton and Rebecca Lescay moving on to Northwestern and Tulsa respectively, this year’s team is going to have a different dynamic.

“I would say it’s definitely going to be a different team,” junior Mara Casey said. “It’s going to be different strengths and different weaknesses. Unpredictable. We can either come out and be completely on fire or come out and look really bad or maybe somewhere in between we don’t really know.”

Day one of the season serves as the foundation for the rest of the season.

“The first practice is always hard,” senior Katelyn Burtch said. “It’s always going to get you to see how hard you have to go. You always want to be the hardest worker in the gym so that’s how we use it. We just see this is how hard we are going to work. We are going to be the standard for everybody else.”

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...