Moving across the world

With+the+diversity+in+culture+found+on+campus%2C+freshman+Siya+Sakhardande+is+just+one+of+many+who+are+from+an+immigrant+family.+

provided by Siya Sakhardande

With the diversity in culture found on campus, freshman Siya Sakhardande is just one of many who are from an immigrant family.

A first generation American. Most people know the story; mom and dad travel to the States for a fresh start at work, school, family, life. The couple works to be where they are today. To be who they want to be.

It’s the story of millions of Americans.

It’s the history of America.

It’s the story of freshman Siya Sakhardande.

Her father Sudesh Sakhardande moved from Mumbai, India to the U.S. for work in 1999. But soon, he moved back to Mumbai where he met Karishma Gaitonde and the two got married. The two moved to the U.S. together in 2000, where Gaitonde, now Karishma Sakhardande, finished her credits to become an legal auditor and Sudesh worked in information technology. Soon thereafter, they had their only child, Siya, in California.

“People are open minded over here,” Karishma said. “There is diversity everywhere, which doesn’t limit you,

— mom Karishma Sakhardande

However, a life spent in the States wasn’t meant to be as when Siya finished third grade, her family headed back to south Asia. They spent half a decade living in Mumbai, India, returning to America just weeks ago when Siya’s dad got a new job in Dallas.  

“A lot of people actually didn’t like our decision, including my grandparents,” Siya said. “But then they just had to live with it.”

Sakhardande and her parents initially moved back to India in order to help her ill grandparents but enjoy the lifestyle of living in the states.

“People in the U.S. have a good work-life balance and [they] find a lot of time here to spend with their family,” Siya’s dad Sudesh said. “In India that is hard because all of your time is wasted in travelling from home and work.”

Although the U.S. may have a better work schedule, moving between two different countries wasn’t always easy.

“It’s a learning experience that is also challenging,” Siya’s mom Karishma said.

Sakhardande was in the fourth grade when they moved to Mumbai, so she has almost ten years of American experience under her belt.

“It [America] is more diverse than in India because there are social standards [in India],” Siya  said. “Some of them are stupid…you can’t be dark skin toned, you have to be light skin toned to be considered beautiful.”

According to Siya, social standards in India are a bit different than the states.

“You couldn’t speak up,” Siya said. “The male is the dominant and arranged marriages are still done.”

For her parents, living in America provides one main difference.

“People are open minded over here,” Karishma said. “There is diversity everywhere, which doesn’t limit you.”

Not only do India and America differ in diversity, but also in their schools.

“It [school in Mumbai] was a seven story building with six sets of stairs,” Siya said. “So [in Frisco] I don’t have to climb six staircases to get to my classes.”

Most American public school districts, like Frisco, have separate buildings for each group of grade levels (elementary, middle and high schools), while in Mumbai preschool through high school is located all on one campus.

“I have less subjects over here. I have to take everything over there; history, geography…I have to take the whole social studies,” Siya said. “Math is everything, like geometry, calculus, trigonometry.”

Here [in the United States] you can be whatever you want to be,

— Siya Sakhardande

Having to take more subjects may be demanding, but it has benefitted Siya and prepared her for classes this year, especially in geography.  

“She experienced learning about different countries,” AP Human Geography teacher Jennifer Nelken said. “She said they learned even more things than what we’ve learned and more in depth. It’s not really an advantage, but it’s helping her get into the class a little bit easier.”

While moving to a new place and switching schools, especially from another country, can be hard, Sakhardande has had no trouble meeting people.

“I made friends in my first class,” Siya said. “A ton of people have so many questions about where I came from and how my story is.”  

Many of Siya’s friends are interested and want to learn more about her being from India.

“It’s cool she grew up somewhere else and I’m glad she gets to live in America now and meet new people,” freshman Mackenzie Hall said. “I would like to know more about India from her and her experience.”

Siya and her parents initially moved back to India in order to help her ill grandparents. While living there, Sakhardande made friends who are still in Mumbai.

“I miss some of my friends who I would talk to and goof around with,” Siya said. “But the most difficult thing about moving is accepting it.”

Even though it wasn’t easy moving from India, Siya believes she has many opportunities in the States.

“I want to be a psychologist,” Siya said. “And here [in the United States] you can be whatever you want to be.”