18th annual fun run set for Saturday

18th annual fun run set for Saturday

Saturday's 18th annual Gary Burns Fun Run features both a one-mile run/walk and a 5K run with many participants dressing up for the run. Temperatures for Saturday's run are expected to be in the high 30's to low 40's.

provided by Frisco ISD

provided by Frisco ISD

provided by Frisco ISD

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

Students and staff throughout the district will be taking part in the Gary Burns Frisco Education Foundation 18th annual fun run on Saturday at Toyota Stadium with participants choosing between a one mile and 5k run.

Participating since elementary school, the run serves a dual purpose for sophomore Katie Gray.

“I’m just ready to go out there, run my hardest, and try to get a good time,” Gray said. “I signed up because I heard that the Gary Burns Fun Run supports giving scholarships to students and I wanted to be apart of that. Also it’s just a fun time to come together with lots of runners in Frisco and support.”

Key Club has made the Gary Burns Run a volunteering event with members signing up to clean, assist vendors, and monitor the course.

“There are a lot of different places that we can be helping out in but I’m personally going to be helping out in the packet pick up and participate in registration,” sophomore Anya Khosla said. “Once the people come in to sign in they will come to me and I’ll hand them their number and register them for the race.”

The fun run has become an annual event for the girls’ basketball team as they walk the course before a scrimmage to get ready for the season.

“We’ve been doing it as a tradition to do it before our scrimmage which is after the Gary Burns Fun Run on Saturday,” sophomore Taylor Bullitt said. “It’s important because it helps us become more of a team and shows us how to work together and it’s really just a fun thing to do before our basketball game. It just shows that we want to be apart of the community and participate in something that Frisco does.”