Redhawks soar past Lake Dallas

Volleyball advances past first round of playoffs for first time in four years

The+volleyball+team+started+the+opening+round+of+the+playoffs+against+Lake+Dallas%2C+finishing+3-0+to+see+the+team+advance+to+the+second+round+for+the+first+time+in+four+years.+

Provided by Jenna Wenaas

The volleyball team started the opening round of the playoffs against Lake Dallas, finishing 3-0 to see the team advance to the second round for the first time in four years.

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

The volleyball team took its first step towards the state tournament by beating Lake Dallas 3-0 in the opening round of the playoffs Monday night in Carrollton.

“Started off great,” head volleyball coach Ui Womble said. “Kids went on a real great 6-0 run and were on fire, everything was clicking. Lake Dallas did a really great job of serving aggressively. Offensively, our kids were so smart with where they were putting the ball and defensively we were picking everything up so it was a great night.”

Monday’s win is the first time in four years, the Redhawks advanced to the second round of playoffs, making this win more momentous for the volleyball team.

“I hadn’t seen them play before,” sophomore Lauren Ransom said. “We knew we had to come out strong because we didn’t know what we were expecting. We really blew them out of the water and they weren’t expecting us to come out that strong so that was good to beat our first round playoff team 3-0.”

Not only were the nerves amplified by playoffs but also the large crowd.

“I was nervous because we had a huge crowd especially with Trunk-or-Treat,” junior Sophie Thompson said. “I was surprised a lot of people came. It was kind of scary but I felt that our team was really well prepared for the game so I was confident in our team.”