Homecoming nomination takes on special meaning for two

Juniors Cameron Robins and Fayo Ajala have been nominated for Homecoming princess and prince. Winners will be announced on Friday.

Big plans, big hopes, big mums: homecoming season is at its peak as the big weekend falls upon Redhawk Nation. Homecoming court nominations took place last week and were finalized at the beginning of this week. The votes are in and tallied, and the underclassmen winners will be announced during the pep rally Friday while the king and queen will be announced during halftime at the football game.

Amongst the hopefuls for the coveted titles of junior prince and princess are friends Cameron Robbins and Fayo Ajala.

“I was surprised, honored, grateful,” Cameron’s mom Mecca Robbins said. “Cameron was very excited.  She loves and accepts everyone, and the nomination made her feel loved and accepted.”

We are so excited that she might be presented on the homecoming court on the field during the homecoming game

— Mom Mecca Robbins

Robbins and Ajala were both nominated by the Best Buddies group and are known throughout the school for their kindness towards and acceptance of others.

“It indicates an inclusive and accepting environment for all students, which is encouraging for parents to witness,” Fayo’s mom Moyo Ajala said.

Interpersonal Skills teacher Caryn Teeling also expressed an appreciation of the environment on campus.

“Everybody is accepting of everyone’s differences and that speaks a lot about the student body,” Teeling said. “The Best Buddy Club has helped tremendously with student interaction. Other students are looking out for others on top of that and that helps protect everybody’s feelings.”

When notified of their nominations, Robbins and Ajala were excited but confused. They had never been invited to Homecoming before, let alone recognized at the Friday pep rally. After the significance of the situation was explained to them, both Robbins and Ajala expressed excitement.  
“I posted a testimony of God’s grace on our lives through this nomination, and that message has been shared over two hundred times, which I hope means that Cameron’s message of acceptance brought hope to two hundred or more people,” mom Mecca Robbins said. “Cameron’s purpose in life is to bring joy to others and this event has allowed so many people to share her joy. We are so excited that she might be presented on the homecoming court on the field during the homecoming game – thus spreading the joy to another body of students that may need to see an example of the Liberty student culture.”