• Tennis wins Bi-District Championship beating McKinney North 10-4

• Gary Burns 5K & Fun Run is Oct. 27 at Toyota Stadium

• Board of Trustees calls for TRE and Bond Election to be on Nov. ballot

Punting for success

Punter Min Shin seeks to continue his football career in college

The odds of a high school player receiving a Division 1 scholarship are 2.5 percent.

Less than 2 percent of those scholarships given out to players of Korean descent, yet those statistics are not stopping the redhawks punter, Min Shin’s ambitions to get a football scholarship, even if it means most people in Korea don’t know anything about his newly chosen sport.

I want to go to all the way to the NFL if I can.”

— senior punter Min Shin

“It is not popular at all they do not even know what football is in Korea,” senior punter Min Shin said.

Making it even tougher, Shin has only been playing football since his junior year.

“I wanted to play football because all my friends play football and football is a really popular sport in the USA,” Shin said.

Growing up, Shin and his family moved several times.

He was born in Minnesota, then lived in Chicago for four years before moving to Korea for 10 years and then to Frisco in the 8th grade.

The numerous moves may be troubling for some, but not for Shin.

“I think it affected me in a good way because there is not a good environment in Korea but in the United States there is a good environment and a lot of opportunity to have a successful life,” Shin said.

He’s got the skill to do it and there is no doubt in my mind he can go and play for a big Division 1 school and be a punter. ”

— head soccer coach Fred Kaiser

Part of his success as an athlete started on the soccer field as Shin has been able to translate his skills playing futbol, to promising potential playing football.

“He compares very well to other punters in the area he is a very talented player has a very strong leg,” head soccer coach Fred Kaiser said. “Part of his warm-up at the star is to pelt one at the lights and speakers. He’s got the skill to do it and there is no doubt in my mind he can go and play for a big Division 1 school and be a punter.”

Playing football for a little less than 2 years has Shin behind most high school punters in experience, but that’s not stopping him from hoping to make it to the NFL.

“I want to go as far as a can in my football career,” Shin said. “I want to go to all the way to the NFL if I can.”

Reporting for WTV, I’m Davis O’Brien.