• Thanksgiving Break Nov. 20-24

• Wingspan named a 2018 CSPA Digital Crown finalist for third year in a row

Students take lead in faith based retreat

Taking part in the winter camp for the Israeli Scouts, sophomore, Roy Nitzan holds a discussion with the group of children he counsels.

Doron Fialkov

Doron Fialkov

Yael Even, Guest Contributor

Six students on campus spent the weekend at the Collin County Adventure Camp as part of Shevet Kochav, an Israeli scout group.

“The Israeli scouts is a nonprofit organization that brings kids together with an Israeli background,” Head of the Israeli scouts Assaf Mor said. “The Israeli scouts is a nationwide organization that spread around 25 main cities in the U.S., its goal is to educate kids on Israeli culture, traditions, and jewish holidays.”

An estimated 90 kids spent this weekend, focusing on various stories from the Torah such as Noah’s Ark and the Tower of Babel.

“The Israeli scouts is a family, it gives kids the sense of belonging,” education director Aya Pitovski said. “This weekend is going to connect the children to their roots and to each other.”

Before many kids entered the scouts, they were limited in their knowledge of the Torah, the Israeli scouts allow kids to explore their Judaic roots that they would otherwise never experience.

“It teaches me about Israeli culture, my religion,” 6th grade student Shira Tzur said. “This weekend was a blast.”

For sophomore Roy Nitzan, the weekend retreat provided the chance to get to know his group better.

“As a counselor, the winter camp gave me an opportunity to connect with my group more and teach them stories from the Torah that they wouldn’t normally know about,” Nitzan said. “Overall it was really fun and I really enjoyed it.”