Opinion: Tales of rezoning

The opening of Memorial High School in 2018 is expected to provide relief for Lone Star, Wakeland, and Heritage. But what’s lost in the shuffle are students, some of which may be rezoned multiple times through their time in Frisco ISD and guest columnist Aaron Boehmer says it’s time for this to be reconsidered.

Frisco ISD officials held their monthly meeting Monday night at which parents and community members were invited to offer their input regarding the attendance zones for 2018-19 that were released in October.

I probably should have gone and shared my tales of rezoning.

It was the summer of 2015 and I had recently turned thirteen, was going into seventh grade, and just moving from southwest Missouri to Frisco.

Nervous but excited, I started school at Scoggins Middle School. By the end of the year, I had made a lot of friends and couldn’t wait for eighth grade and then high school with them.

But of course, I wouldn’t go to Scoggins for long, since Nelson Middle School was opening up on Independence Parkway.

Although it was very hard moving schools for the second time, I was glad a few of my friends were getting rezoned to Nelson as well. At the end of eighth grade, I had made a lot more friends.

My brother, who is a senior now, has been going to Independence since his sophomore year, so naturally it would be make sense that I would attend Independence High School with everyone from Scoggins and Nelson.

Then, another rezoning was done: one that rezoned my neighborhood, which consists of around four students that were going into 9th grade.

Most of Nelson went to Independence with some going to Heritage, but no other students from Nelson went to Liberty besides my neighborhood. I was not happy.

Not only did I essentially have to start over in the sense of making friends, but the rezoning would also separate my brother and I from going to the same school since he is grandfathered into Independence.

There is a rezoning almost every year in Frisco ISD and since I’ve moved here I have been rezoned every year.

What Frisco ISD, whose own mission is to “know every student by name and need,” must realize is that having to constantly move schools takes a toll on the student.

It is hard trying to make new friends every year, especially knowing that all the friends you have made are going to another school together.

How is a school district okay with separating siblings so often?

When someone is first entering high school and they have an older sibling, usually that older sibling helps them with the transition from middle school to high school. But when the two siblings aren’t going to the same school, it makes it harder because they are not at the same campus and have different schedules in general.

With a school district expanding as quickly as Frisco is, occasional rezoning is understandable. But when siblings are split up, it makes it harder for families. Parents should have the option to enroll all their kids in the same school.

It is difficult to feel like a part of a school when you are taken out of it after only one year.