Sports feast on practice and games during Thanksgiving break

Taking+part+in+a+tournament+during+the+first+part+of+Thanksgiving+break%2C+the+boys+basketball+team+along+with+the+girls+team+and+the+wrestling+teams+spent+part+of+the+week+practicing+or+playing+games.+

Taking part in a tournament during the first part of Thanksgiving break, the boys’ basketball team along with the girls’ team and the wrestling teams spent part of the week practicing or playing games.

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

Rather than rest, boys’ basketball, wrestling, and girls’ basketball feasted on practices and games over Thanksgiving break with the girls’ team taking on Midlothian and Bishop Lynch as it prepares for the upcoming Arlington Classic tournament.

“It keeps us in our routine,” head coach Ross Reedy said. “If you take a big chunk of time off and then four weeks later you take another big chunk of time off, you really put yourself into a bad situation. We actually use this time right now to implement some things that we want to see in games and then we use the time over winter break to kind of do the same. We try not to take too much time off because it keeps our legs underneath us. It keeps us gelling well and things like that and so this week probably more so than ever was really good for us.”

Taking its record to 6-3, the boys’ basketball team competed in the Lone Star tournament Monday and Tuesday before starting their break.

“We played in the Lone Star tournament in Frisco, we played four teams,” junior Zion Richardson said. “We ended up playing Lewisville, this team out of Oklahoma, Mount Pleasant, and Plano Senior. The first day we got two good wins, which helped us a lot. The next day, we lost in the morning against the Oklahoma team but we had to bounce back quick because we had our next team in a couple hours so we played Mount Pleasant team which we beat by 20.”

There were no matches or tournaments for the wrestling team, but in order to keep its momentum going, the team had three intense practices despite not having a match.

“We had mandatory practices on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday,” sophomore Megan Weidenbach said. “Each were about three hours. The first day we just practiced by ourselves. The second day, we had St. Mark’s come in which is a private school. It’s an all boys school and they came in and wrestled with us. It was just so we could get some more bodies in the room and work with different people. It was nice to work with different skill sets. The third day, we went over to St. Mark’s. It was really cool to be able to experience how they do things. We just practiced.”