• Summer vacation June 4-August 15

• First day of school is Thursday, August 16

Filed under A&E, Showcase

Songs fill the cafeteria during choir’s winter concert

The show started with Varsity Mixed Choir and Women’s Ensemble filing into the cafeteria singing “The Christmas Round.” As varsity left the spotlight, Women’s Ensemble sang  “Gloria in Excelsis Deo” and “Grown-Up Christmas List.”

I feel so happy and overwhelmed because this is her last year in choir,”

— parent Jasmin Mallari

Next, Show Choir took the stage for the first time this school year and sang “Christmas Time is Here” and “All I Want for Christmas is You.” Varsity Mixed Ensemble then performed “African Noel,” with  percussion, “Nutcracker Jingles” and “The Twelve Days After Christmas”. Percussion joined back in for their final performance of the night with varsity for “Kuimba Nafsi Yangu.”

One varsity member saw the concert as a success despite the last minute relocation.  

“Definitely, our concert did take a twist of events prior to the day before,” senior Kirsten Mallari said. “So, we had to change location, but despite that I think it it went alot better than a lot of us had expected, because we were anticipating performing in the auditorium, but performing in a  different location gave us a new perspective.”

Women’s Ensemble then joined the stage with varsity for their performance of “Believe” from “The Polar Express.” Senior parent, Jasmin Mallari, reflected on her daughter’s choir career and this being her last year.

I just like all the beautiful voices,”

— Sidney Mallari

“I feel so happy and overwhelmed because this is her last year in choir,” Mallari said. “And so proud of her from first year to senior she has been in choir. So, she did a good job.”

Finally, everybody was led into the rotunda to listen to both the choirs sing “Carol of the Bells” followed by refreshments and food such as hot chocolate and cookies. Little sister, Sidney Mallari, was excited for the concert, however, one performance was her favorite.

“The Carol of the Bells in the rotunda,” Mallari said. “I really liked it, because well, I just love hearing the choir sing and I just like all the beautiful voices.”

Reporting for WTV, I’m Caitlyn Kleibert.

Caitlyn Kleibert, WTV Daily Update Producer
Caitlyn Kleibert has been in broadcast for four years and is the Daily Update Producer. She is a senior and loves singing, journalism, and food. Kleibert hopes to go to Texas A&M and major in business and journalism. She enjoys watching the Dallas Cowboys and playing basketball. Even though she hopes to get into journalism,...