All-Region orchestra shifts locations

Lucas Barr, Staff Reporter

Following the incident in the auditorium, the Region 24 Orchestra clinic and concert has been moved to Independence High School.

“Finding another space that can house musicians, as in Plano, Frisco, and Prosper which is about 600 musicians and having enough space to fit a 133 person ensemble into a room is not easy,” assistant orchestra director Victoria Lien said. “So it’s just finding facilities that are available to us this late in the game.”

While the schedule remains the same, the sudden location change posed an inconvenience to participants and organizers.

“The only stress it adds for me is that I have to go and drive there, because I can walk to Liberty,” freshman violinist Nandika Chirala said. “I was going to volunteer at Liberty, but now I can’t volunteer at Independence. It’s ok, I don’t think it’s too big of a deal.”

The concert is set to take place at 4 p.m. Saturday in the auditorium at Independence.

“Region 24 is one of the strongest regions for orchestra,” Lien said. “It will be a fantastic concert, almost at a professional level, if not better than professional level.”

Prior to the concert, students who made it in to the orchestra will be rehearsing Friday night and all day Saturday.

“My ability to sight read will get a lot better,” Chirala said. “Learning to listen to other people and handling complex rhythms, that’s gonna get a lot better.”

The annual event also provides students to interact with other musicians from the region.

“I’m looking forward to the concert because I get to play with people from other schools and to socialize and get to know players,” junior violinist Kevin Wei said. “I can’t wait, it’s going to be a lot of fun.”