Review: Quintessential bakery experience

Anybody searching for a traditional, homestyle bakery will find Great Harvest Plano Bread Co. the place to go. With its comforting ambiance and quality selection of mouth-watering breads and an assortment of baked delights.

Anya Thakur

Anya Thakur

Anya Thakur

Anya Thakur, Staff Reporter

Sitting across from Panda Express and adjacent to Five Guys on Spring Creek Parkway is the quintessential bakery experience.

Embodying the old-world charm of small bakeries and shops, with warm wood-paneled floors and friendly and inviting staff, is Great Harvest Plano Bread Company. The bakery succeeds in capturing the tantalizing combination of the warmth and comfort of baked bread straight out of the oven paired with hot cinnamon rolls or a creamy pumpkin loaf.

Inside, the store is outfitted with rows of racks holding coffee and espresso mixes, paper bags of apple and cinnamon oatmeal, and boxes of buttered muffins. A glass display case presenting sugared scones and bar treats striped with chocolate or sprinkled with crushed nuts transitions to smooth countertop in front of the kitchen.

In the kitchen itself, customers can watch their breads and sweets being freshly baked, as dough is rolled out and turns golden-brown while it rises in the oven, as well as customize orders when the food is being prepared.

The bakery’s menu features a variety of whole-grain artisan breads, gourmet sandwiches, muffins, scones, and cookies along with bakery mixes. Though the diverse menu of Great Harvest Bread Co. is customized based on location, what they have in common is that all their breads, sandwiches, and sweets are handcrafted and freshly-baked.

In addition to traditional bakery fare, their menu features twists such as Cinnamon Spice Bread, Roast Beef and Blue Cheese and Chicken Pecan sandwiches, and even gourmet dog treats.

A sliced loaf of best-selling bread, Honey Whole-Wheat Bread, proves to be an addicting combination of subtly sweet and hearty, made with high-quality ingredients. When spread with whipped cream cheese and lightly toasted, it has a satisfying crunch of filling whole-wheat bread and transforms an ordinary piece of toast into a honeyed artisan specialty.

Seasonal specialty Pumpkin Chocolate-Chip Cake Bread is a dessert loaf densely packed with raisins and chocolate chips, paired with the warm spices and the sweetness of pumpkin. Moist and fluffy, its rich flavor is decadent and fudgey from the pumpkin bread to the maple syrup glaze.

Offering complimentary specials and generous prices typically $7.00 to $15.00 for each item, indulge in oven-fresh baked goods anytime you are in the area. If you’re searching for a traditional, homestyle bakery, Great Harvest Plano Bread Co. is the place to go, with its comforting ambiance and quality selection of mouth-watering breads and an assortment of baked delights.