10 band students make All-State

Kennedy Williams

Orchestra and band students will hit the Dallas Symphony Orchestra Thursday to watch the World Premiere of a new cello piece, Polovtsian Dances, and Rite of Spring. Planning to pursue music in college, senior Kavan Mehta is hoping to learn from the professionals. “I decided to go to the performance because I think it’s a great experience to see professional musicians firsthand and understand the styles, intricate details, and the musicality of the pieces they really emphasize in concerts,” Mehta said.

Kennedy Williams, WTV Staff Reporter

10 band students made the TMEA All-State Band that will be rehearsing and performing during the second weekend of February at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center in San Antonio.

“I felt very proud,” junior saxophonist Eddie Chen said. “I felt like all of the work that I had put in finally paid off.”

The process for making one of an All-State Band began in mid-September with students  preparing hours on end.

“The region etudes came out in late July,” Chen said. “Once I got them, I started practicing really slowly, and I gradually got it up to tempo. It was definitely a lot of work.”

The 10 students and the school’s band directors will attend the TMEA Music Convention where they will perform and also attend numerous clinics.

“We as all directors are extremely proud of time time and hard work that they’ve put into this process,” assistant band director Tyler Elvidge said. “It’s an extremely competitive process that takes up so much time. Whether or not these students advanced all the way to the all state level, just being at area auditions this past weekend is an incredible honor that shows their commitment and dedication to the process.”

Students that made a 2018 All-State band are:

6A Clarinet – Charles Yang (senior)

6A Oboe – Richard Huang (junior)

6A Bass Clarinet – Daniel Yang (junior)

5A Clarinet – Jisu Kang (senior)

5A Clarinet – Mark Shi (senior)

5A Alto Sax – Eddie Chen (junior)

5A Trombone – Caitlyn Hazzard (senior)

Jazz Alto Sax – Nathan Brooks (senior)

Jazz Trumpet – Reuben Mathews (junior)

Jazz Trumpet – Sid Sadhu (junior)