Frigid temperatures force schedule changes in soccer

Even+though+the+soccer+season+is+still+months+away%2C+both+the+boys+and+girls+teams+are+getting+ready+with+tryouts+and+making+cuts.+

Jae Lee

Even though the soccer season is still months away, both the boys’ and girls’ teams are getting ready with tryouts and making cuts.

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

In the middle of winter, spring seems to be ages away for the soccer teams as frigid weather has altered their practices and game schedule this week. With temperatures as low as 10 degrees on Tuesday and 20 degrees on Wednesday, outdoor sports are bound to follow UIL regulations.

Tuesday night’s game for the girls’ teams was canceled but the boys’ was rescheduled for Wednesday at 5:00 p.m.

“We had to follow the practice guidelines so if it feels like below 25, we can’t go out at all so it looks like we will be practicing indoor,” head boys’ soccer coach Fred Kaiser said. “We were going to be playing [Tuesday] so the actual practice we can actually focus on some things we saw at our tournament this weekend and make improvements there. It consolidates the schedule this week having to play on Wednesday as opposed to Tuesday and then having to play on Friday. It puts more games in a compact space.”

With District 13-5A play starting Jan. 23, head girls’ soccer coach Elizabeth Mokler sees the cancellation of Tuesday’s game as a way to refocus moving into the season and second semester.

“It’s one less day we have for preparation but we did review film today since we weren’t able to practice with the temperature and sharing facilities with other sports so it was kind of a blessing in disguise,” Mokler said. “Gave us some time to regroup, take a look at what our mistakes were from last week. I think it gives us time to slow down and evaluate some other things so we can hit practice hard and fix some of our stuff going forward for Friday, last non-district game.”