ICA students take a culinary trip around the world

Yael Even

Last week, students brought in various fruits to try, now they are doing the same with vegetables.

Yael Even, Staff Reporter

A trip around the world learning about exotic fruits and vegetables is the focus of current lessons in Intro to Culinary Arts classes as students are bringing in exotic vegetables Thursday and Friday week after bringing exotic fruits two weeks ago.

“The students will benefit from trying something that they have never tasted before,” Culinary Arts teacher Nija Higgins said. “This allows them the opportunity to sampling and taste fruits/vegetables from around the world, thus expanding the students horizon.”

Additionally many students say that they would never have tried an unfamiliar vegetable or fruit in the produce section, so Higgins believes this lab is a keeper as it gets students out of their comfort zone.

Not only must students try something new but they also must prepare a dish with their exotic ingredient.

“With careful research on preparation the students usually do very well,” Higgins said. “For many, they offer what they learn to their families.”

Sophomore Brysen Banks doesn’t mind having to prepare a dish he is unfamiliar with because it’s healthy, which will benefit him since he is an athlete.

“I believe it exposes you to different cultures and encourages you to try different fruits,” Banks said. “As well as it will keep me more open minded.”

The process of samping and cooking with exotic fruits and vegetables is expanding the culinary tastes of senior Natalie Clark.

“I think it broadened my horizons and allowed me to experience new foods,” senior Natalie Clark said. “My favorite part was just about learning about new fruits and being able to try ones I haven’t gotten to.” “At first it was complicated to find one that I thought I’d might like but I ended up bringing in a persimmon because I have had one before.”