• 12 wrestlers advance to state Friday and Saturday in Cypress

• Senior Jiwoo Oh wins state championship in breaststroke, boys' team takes 7th

• Girls' basketball wins second round playoff game 60-45 against Texas High

• The WTV Daily Update named Student Television Network Southwest Regional Broadcast Excellence winner for Best Daily Taped Show

Brown siblings help set the tone for girls’ soccer team

Separated by just one number on their jersey, the Brown sisters, freshman Kallin (#12) and senior Kassidi (#11) are playing together on the Redhawks varsity team. 

“I think it’s great that as sisters one of them is a senior and one of them is a freshman,” girls’ head soccer coach Elizabeth Mokler said. “So we’ve got the upperclassman leadership and the younger one also demonstrating not only talent potential, but an incredible work ethic.

Separated by just one number on their jersey, the Brown sisters, freshman Kallin (#12) and senior Kassidi (#11) are playing together on the Redhawks varsity team. “I think it’s great that as sisters one of them is a senior and one of them is a freshman,” girls’ head soccer coach Elizabeth Mokler said. “So we’ve got the upperclassman leadership and the younger one also demonstrating not only talent potential, but an incredible work ethic."

provided by Kallin Brown

provided by Kallin Brown

Teams often rely on close bonds to achieve success, but the girls’ soccer team may have a head start when they face Lone Star Tuesday evening as sisters Kassidi (senior) and Kallin Brown (freshman) play together for the Redhawks.

provided by Kallin Brown
Trying to track down the ball, freshman Kallin Brown helps hold down the midfield for the Redhawks.

Although there is a three year age gap between them, the Brown’s sibling rivalry doesn’t seem to hurt the sisters or the team.

“We’re competitive I think because we’re siblings, but it’s a good competitive,” Kassidi said. “It’s makes us better.”

Playing at the varsity level for the last two years, Kassidi’s experience helps her sister.

“I think Kassidi has helped me transition and how to play at the high school level,” Kallin said. “It’s playing with people who are four years older than me, so that helps.”

The cushion of support they provide for one another benefits the team.

“I think it’s great that as sisters one of them is a senior and one of them is a freshman,” girls’ head soccer coach Elizabeth Mokler said. “So we’ve got the upperclassman leadership and the younger one also demonstrating not only talent potential, but an incredible work ethic. With their level of work ethic and commitment to the team mentality, I think that they’re gonna be the ones that help us get to playoffs.”

provided by Kallin Brown
Marking her opponent, senior Kassidi Brown is a defender for the Redhawks.

Less than 10 games into her first varsity season, the magnitude of Kallin’s skill level on the field masks her grade level.

“She wouldn’t tell you but Kallin is really really good,” Kassidi said. “I haven’t had to help her much she just kind of fit right in. It also helped that there are a lot of other freshman on varsity. She has a friend group on the team and that helped a lot too.”

Having the Brown sisters on the team have made things a bit easier for Mokler, who is in her first year on campus.

“They are just incredible selfless players, they work really hard,” Mokler said. “They’re real positive people and contribute on and off the field, just really coachable so that has really helped the dynamic.”

Exhibiting chemistry on the field, playing together also has benefits at home.

“They have become much closer as sisters and Kassidi has really helped Kallin and all of the freshman players get adjusted to high school soccer,” mom Dondi Brown said. “They are making wonderful memories they will cherish forever. We are extremely blessed they get to play together this year.”

This story was updated on Feb. 1 to correct the name of Kassidi and Kallin’s mom. She was incorrectly identified as Shirley. In addition, in the caption for the featured image, the jersey number of the Brown sisters were reversed.