UIL to announce new football districts Thursday

Kicking+off+its+2018+season+Friday+night%2C+the+Redhawks+travel+to+Garland+to+take+on+North+Garland+High+School+starting+at+7+p.m.+Friday%27s+game+is+the+first+of+three+non-district+games+to+start+the+season.+

Kicking off its 2018 season Friday night, the Redhawks travel to Garland to take on North Garland High School starting at 7 p.m. Friday's game is the first of three non-district games to start the season.

Mady Daddario

Mady Daddario

Mady Daddario

One of the biggest days of the 2018 football season will take place nearly seven months before the season when the UIL’s announces its biennial football realignment at 9 a.m. Thursday.

A lot of change coming so we’re anxious to find out what that’s going to be on Thursday,”

— campus athletic director and head football coach Chris Burtch

While this event takes place every two years, for the first time, UIL divided Class 5A schools into Division I (enrollment of 1840-2189) and Division II (enrollment of 1150-1839) back in December, rather than right before the playoffs.

This brings to an end the all Frisco ISD football district as Liberty, Wakeland, Centennial, Heritage, Lone Star and Independence will be in Division I with Frisco, Reedy, Lebanon Trail and Memorial in Division II, meaning the Frisco schools will be split into two different districts.

“A lot of change coming so we’re anxious to find out what that’s going to be on Thursday,” campus athletic director and head football coach Chris Burtch said. “Well for football what I think it’ll be Wakeland, us, Centennial, Independence, Lone Star, and two others. Probably Little Elm and The Colony is my guess. Basketball, volleyball, soccer, and baseball are going to start district really early so that they can play everybody twice which will be really tough. It’ll be unprecedented for Frisco ISD.”

Split into two districts for the next two years, Frisco teams will have the opportunity to fill eight playoff spots.

All other sports will be in one district with all 10 Frisco ISD schools in it,”

— FISD athletic director David Kuykendall

“I think that the realignment will bring new competition which can be difficult trying to understand a new team,” junior Josh Burtch said. “I love the idea of Liberty having a better chance to play in the playoffs.”

While Frisco ISD’s football teams will be divided amongst two districts, that will not be the case for all other sports which will remain in an all Frisco ISD district.

“All other sports will be in one district with all 10 Frisco ISD schools in it,” FISD athletic director David Kuykendall said via email. “The UIL made the change after a majority vote by the Class AAAAA Superintendents in the state of Texas.”

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...