Genetics conference furthers classroom learning

Some+AP+Biology+students+attended+the+annual+genetics+conference+hosted+by+Frisco+High+School+Wednesday.+

Katharina Santos

Some AP Biology students attended the annual genetics conference hosted by Frisco High School Wednesday.

Aaron Boehmer, Staff Reporter

AP Biology students were gone for half of the day Wednesday as they were attending the annual Genetics Conference hosted in the Frisco High auditorium.

“I really liked how in depth the material was about such a vast array of subjects,” junior and AP Biology student Aniket Matharasi said. “I think this helped further my understanding of genetics which is helpful because that is the unit we are studying right now.”

The conference consisted of a presentation with a couple breaks in between. Concepts that were discussed started off with the basics of genetics and later went more in depth on cancer; how it works and future ways to prevent it.

“The conference was very educational,” junior Lisa Cai said. “I really liked how the speaker would provide us with notes and give us the most recent information [over genetics].”

Despite the content, the conference lasted about three hours, leading some students wishing the structure of the event was slightly different.

“For next year’s conference, I think the material should be spread out a little bit more and make it either shorter with less material or longer with less rush on the material so that we can understand it better,” Matharasi said.

In the end, junior Andy Liu enjoyed the overall experience.

“I learned a lot more about how cells work and about how the genome can be modified,” junior Andy Liu said. “I had a great time and learned new things.”