• 12 wrestlers advance to state Friday and Saturday in Cypress

• Senior Jiwoo Oh wins state championship in breaststroke, boys' team takes 7th

• Girls' basketball wins second round playoff game 60-45 against Texas High

• The WTV Daily Update named Student Television Network Southwest Regional Broadcast Excellence winner for Best Daily Taped Show

A Little Wisdom: Like it or not, the Kardashians know their stuff

In+her+weekly+column+%22A+Little+Wisdom%22%2C+staff+reporter+Abby+Dasgupta+shares+the+insights+she%27s+gained+through+the+years.++
In her weekly column

In her weekly column "A Little Wisdom", staff reporter Abby Dasgupta shares the insights she's gained through the years.

Juleanna Culilap

Sunday was the Super Bowl, which is great and all (go Eagles!) but the real event of the day was Kylie Jenner’s birth announcement. After months of speculation by probably the whole world, Kylie finally gave us a glimpse of the last 9 months of her life in a twelve-minute YouTube video documenting her pregnancy. The video featured doctor’s visits, clandestine pajama-themed baby showers, and sweet interactions within the Kardashian-Jenner clan as they prepared to welcome a new member of the family.

I have never watched an episode of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. I only have rudimentary knowledge of the ins and outs of this family’s dynamics through what I can glean from Snapchats, tweets, and the occasional YouTube video. But I’m not going to lie to you, I was fascinated by every second of that 12 minute video.

There’s two reasons why I absolutely loved Kylie’s decision to keep her fans in the dark about her pregnancy until four days after she delivered her baby. For starters, it was extremely impressive that Kylie Jenner, one of the titans of the social media age whose very footsteps are traced obsessively by hundreds of paparazzi and devoted fans alike, was able to keep something as massive as a pregnancy under such a tight wrap.

Obviously, everyone pretty much knew that Kylie was pregnant, but just the fact that she refused to comment on the rumor mill symbolized something rare in the media today; a remembrance of things past if you will. Nowadays, we lionize celebrities and social media stars to the point of utter idolization, but there’s a dark side to this treatment; fans often feel as though they are entitled to their favorite stars’ complete life story, even though these people are literal strangers.

By refusing to share her story until she was ready to, Kylie struck a powerful stance against the pervasive influence of social media on the increasingly toxic celebrity-fan relationship, whether that was her intention or not.

Additionally, let’s just talk from a purely business format: the Kardashians and Jenners are geniuses in marketing. They might be ridiculed as having no talent, but one does not become an influential family in the U.S. without having some public relations sense.

On Sunday, Kylie’s Twitter tag surpassed the Super Bowl in popularity. The documentary, To Our Daughter, racked up an astonishing 27 million views in 24 hours. Her Instagram post broke the record for most-liked picture of all time. The next day, you couldn’t scroll through any social media platform without being confronted by articles about Kylie’s new baby girl. If there’s something the Kardashian-Jenner family has no trouble doing, it’s catching people’s attention; the fact that they’ve been able to capitalize on it and turn themselves into millionaires worth an estimated 450-million dollars only proves all their critics wrong.

Obviously, not everything is peaches and there’s a lot about this situation that I have objections about. However, unlike a political situation or a social phenomena, Kylie is just another new mom–albeit richer and more powerful than most–and I’m sure she has enough on her mind without the qualms of an entire nation cluttering her thoughts.