• No school Monday for MLK Jr. Day

• Frisco ISD Choir Festival at Stonebriar Community Church Saturday from 3-5 p.m.

Between two worlds, Watson keeps on eye on the present and the future

Senior forward helps lead the Redhawks towards the playoffs

Standing at 6'7

Standing at 6'7", senior Zac Watson led the team to 26 victories in the 2017-2018 season, ranking first in District 13-5A.

After senior Mikayla Durham secured her future at signing day Wednesday morning, senior forward Zac Watson has a lot on his mind. With the playoffs just around the corner and his college plans up in the air, Watson has a lot is riding on his last semester.

Trying to do what he can to get the Redhawks to the playoffs, Watson also has to think about his future as he currently has offers from Central Connecticut State, Central Michigan, Evansville, North Carolina Greensboro, Sam Houston State, and Texas-Arlington, with Watson expected to sign with a school on April 11.

“When it’s practice time, it’s practice time and when it’s game time, it’s game time,” Watson said. “I just do my best when it comes to those things not to get distracted. Make sure my attention is towards my coaches and the team.”

A 3-star recruit with offers from Central Connecticut State, Central Michigan, Evansville, North Carolina Greensboro, Sam Houston State, and Texas-Arlington, an undecided future will weigh on Watson’s mind until signing day on April 11.

Watching Watson go through the process is an educational experience for junior Zion Richardson.

“I plan to start my recruiting process after this summer,” Richardson said. “I was on the same circuit as Zac and playing in the summer last year so I was able to see what he goes through. He told me how the coaches will talk to me. Coaches will come talk to him and he said to find a school that really wants you to make an immediate impact and to also look at academics which is always good.”

Over the course of the next two games, the boys’ basketball team will try to wrap up the 13-5A District championship with Friday’s game at Wakeland a must win for the Redhawks to stay a game ahead of Heritage.

One of the Redhawks key components on the varsity team since his sophomore year, Watson is able to balance the present and the future according to head coach Stephen Friar.

Although the team has a playoff spot secured, Watson knows the Redhawks will have to be focused the next few weeks.

“Going into playoffs we just got to make sure we make as few mistakes as possible and make sure we are mentally engaged in practices and games,” Watson said.

Standing 6’7” and averaging 17 points per game, Watson is between two worlds: the present and the future.

“I think Zac’s so mature that he understands the small picture and the big picture,” boys’ head basketball coach Stephen Friar said. “The small picture is what he can do for his team currently. The big picture is by him doing what he’s doing for his team currently that’s going to make him remarkable for schools going forward. Essentially it’s a win win for both of us.”

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...

Roy Nitzan, Chief Photographer

Roy Nitzan is a junior in WTV, he is the chief photographer who still can’t make a basket in the trash.

Contact Roy: [email protected]