Three advance to state VASE

Students+from+throughout+the+area+look+at+artwork+on+display+in+one+of+the+gyms+at+Prosper+High+School+for+Saturdays+VASE+competition.+A+total+of+40+students+on+campus+were+rated+with+the+highest+score+of+four%2C+meaning+%E2%80%9Csuperior%2C%E2%80%9D+and+three+of+them+advanced+to+the+state+level%3B+including+sophomores+Christine+Le+and+Zoe+Meeker.+

Aaron Boehmer

Students from throughout the area look at artwork on display in one of the gyms at Prosper High School for Saturday’s VASE competition. A total of 40 students on campus were rated with the highest score of four, meaning “superior,” and three of them advanced to the state level; including sophomores Christine Le and Zoe Meeker.

Aaron Boehmer, Staff Reporter

Student artists throughout Region 10 gathered at Prosper High School for the annual VASE competition on Saturday to showcase their artwork with the chance of advancing to the state level. A total of 40 students on campus were rated with the highest score of four, meaning “superior,” and three of them advanced to the state level; including junior Emma Krilowicz and sophomores Christine Le and Zoe Meeker.

“My favorite part was definitely seeing everything that was drawn and seeing how everyone approaches art differently even though we’re the same age,” Le said.

After each school checked in, they went to the qualification tables in the auditorium and were given a time slot and room number for their interviews, where they were scored out of four; one being ‘accomplished,’ two meaning ‘strong,’ three rated as ‘excellent,’ and four as ‘superior.’  

“VASE was fun and a great experience; the judges and other volunteers were really nice,” Meeker said. “But it was a little underwhelming because of all the waiting there was.”

When the students were done with their interview, they waited in the cafeteria until the four-rated art pieces were laid out in three different gyms based on the division the art was entered in; Division I (person not in an art class or has taken one year), Division II (have taken two art classes), and Divisions III and IV (have taken three to four art classes).

“It’s such a nerve-wracking experience to walk into the gym where they put all the ‘highest- ranking’ art and not know whether you’re there or not,” Le said. “It was the first time I’ve been exposed to so much art made by high schoolers.”

Although VASE Regionals are over, the competition does not stop for Le and Meeker as they prepare for what’s to come at state in April.

“State doesn’t require an interview, so I’ll probably just mentally prepare myself for seeing more amazing artwork,” Meeker said.

With students such as Meeker, Le and 38 others, art teacher Pernie Fallon was nothing but pleased with the day’s results and overall experience.

“It was an exciting day and a very inspiring experience for all,” Fallon said in an email to art students. “Congratulations [to the students] on all the hard work that went into VASE.”