Personal records fall for Redhawks at Texas Distance Festival

Ready for a dry meet, cross country will compete in the District 9-5A championship meet on Thursday.

Luke Small

Luke Small

Luke Small

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

A last minute registration by head track coach Amanda Zambiasi resulted in seniors Carrie Fish and Peyton Groves, junior Kira Robinson and sophomore Amelia Jauregui setting new personal records in the Texas Distance Festival at Carroll High School on Saturday.

“In a way it was good because I didn’t have to sit there and think about the meet for too long,” Groves said. “It was nice not having to worry about it. We all really wanted to run this meet and it didn’t look like we were going to get to so we were all just excited to go.”

After setting her previous personal record at state last year, Fish has finally reached her goal and claimed a 5:03.58 mile in the elite heat, placing 6th. Despite her accomplishment, she is ready to surpass this time, working towards a sub 5 minute mile.

“It just shows that all of our hard work has been paying off and we all wanted to PR at some point but we all wanted to do it together,” Fish said. “I’m going for sub 5 for the mile. We have a huge race this weekend so I’m running the mile and the two mile. I just want a PR this weekend as well.”

With some of the track team heading to Jesuit on Friday and Saturday, the personal record adds to the confidence going into the race with Jauregui reaching a 5:15.92 mile bringing her to the top spot in heat seven.

“Prior to this meet, my time was just barely qualifying now I have a time that is better to the competition that will be there,” Jauregui said. “I really think the people there are going to push me a lot but I also know that I am capable of doing well.”

Feeling her progress had stalled, Robinson was thrilled to beat her time by three seconds finishing with a 5:44.09.

“It was really satisfying because this season this season I hadn’t been doing as well as I wanted to be,” Robinson said. “The distance festival gave me a really good opportunity to break it and set myself up for the season.”

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...