Running Redhawks racing at Texas Relays

Junior Nissi Kabongo, along with senior Carrie Fish, and sophomore Amelia Jauregui are in Austin for the 2018 Texas Relays Thursday-Saturday.

Hallie Hunter

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

Three Redhawks are in Austin for the 2018 Texas Relays meet Thursday through Saturday at Mike A. Myers Stadium at the University of Texas.

“It’s exciting to be able to take three down there and be able to see them compete at an elite level,” head track coach Amanda Zambiasi said. “I am hoping for all the girls to PR and really start hitting their peak for the season. Each girl going out and having their best day in that one race that they get to do.”

Amongst 712 other high schools, the nerves are high for sophomore Amelia Jauregui who is making her first appearance at the Texas Relays. However, Jauregui has more confidence going in to the meet as senior Carrie Fish and junior Nissi Kabongo have been there before.

“I think it’s very exciting because this is their second or third year going,” Jauregui said. “They’re very talented girls. Carrie is really good with helping me with nerves and she’s a really good role model. She really helps me keep my composure and it’s just nice to know there is older girls that will be there to help me.”

Racing in a significantly bigger venue that any of the three are used to, Zambiasi is trying to keep everyone at ease.

“The biggest thing is the bigger stage when they get there,” Zambiasi said. “It’s a little more intense and intimidating so just trying to mentally prepare them for that, ultimately for state.”

For her second and final time at the Texas Relays, Fish plans to utilize the meet to prepare for her last run at state.

“My main goal this weekend is to improve my time and I’m not so worried about place,” Fish said. “Running better competition pushes me to do my best and then this is the last fast meet before district and post season and it’s the most realistic to what state is going to be like.”