When arts and athletics collide

Riley Franzke

Riley Franzke, WTV Staff Reporter

A handful of athletes on campus choose to be apart of both of their chosen sport and fine art classes.

While this seems like a harmless choice, balancing two school extracurricular activities on top of school work can be a challenge for some students as there are usually multiple practices, performances, games and contests.

“I would just do my homework right when I got home from marching band practice and in the morning I would just wake up and not spend as much time on my phone and instead doing stuff that benefited my grades,” freshman Carter Bianchin said. “It’s definitely a challenge because you have stuff to do before school and after school but it is manageable based on how you spend your time. ”

To be able to attend each event, coaches and directors as well as students take the time to communicate to organize the students time.

“As with all scheduling conflicts whether it be work of athletic activities whatever it might be, most of those problems can be solved through proactive communication,” Band Director Jamie Weaver said. “which is just making sure to know what’s going on before the activity actually takes place.”

Cross country head coach Ben Manning believes it’s important for  athletes to communicate.

“So as coaches, as athletes toggle you know being in a sport or maybe being in another extracurricular activity, you know me personally I try to put it on the athlete to balance his schedule make sure he’s coming to all the practices that are necessary but also, you know making all the events outside of athletics that he needs to make,” boys’ cross country head coach Ben Manning said. “When there’s a conflict he just needs to communicate to myself or, you know if he’s in band the band director, it’s all about communicating early and balancing.

For Wingspan TV, I’m Riley Franzke.