Final whistle blown on girls’ soccer

Final whistle blown on girls’ soccer

Girls' soccer came to an end in the first round of playoffs Friday as the team lost to McKinney North 1-0 leaving the team's record on the season at 9-9-3.

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

Finishing in third place in District 13-5A, the girls’ soccer season came to a close in the first round of the playoffs, losing 1-0 to McKinney North.

“It was a very intense game and we went back and forth,” head coach Elizabeth Mokler said. “We had high hopes of winning and it just didn’t work out. The girls definitely worked hard and went out on a really good note. Some of them played their best game ever so it was fun to watch.”

The loss to the Bulldogs was about more than a game for senior Mary Kate Presley.

“I think it was hard for us because all of my best friends that I’ve been best friends with all of high school are seniors on the soccer team,” Presley said. “It was hard for us accepting that it was over and this is the end and something we’ve bonded over so much.”

For most of the seniors, there is no next year, but Mikalya Durham is continuing her career at St. Mary’s University, Despite being able to play in college, facing her final high school game means leaving friends and memories behind.  

“The biggest thing I’m taking with me from my high school career will be the relationships I’ve made,” Durham said via text. “High school soccer has brought some of the most amazing people into my life and for that I’ll be forever thankful. Our last game was extremely emotional. Going into playoffs was hard because as seniors we knew any game could be our lasts and unfortunately our first round was our last game but I’m so proud of our team and the season that we had.”

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...