School day tournaments the norm for tennis team

Taking+to+the+court+for+one+of+the+final+times+this+year%2C+the+tennis+team+competed+in+the+District+13-5A+tournament+Tuesday+and+Wednesday.+

Caitlyn Kleibert

Taking to the court for one of the final times this year, the tennis team competed in the District 13-5A tournament Tuesday and Wednesday.

Katharina Santos, Staff Reporter

As the tennis team continues to hit the courts for their spring season, hosting after school matches isn’t up their alley anytime soon. The spring season consists of all day tournaments, generally once per week including Tuesday and Wednesday’s District 13-5A meet.

But because these tournaments are held during the school day, students often miss class once a week. But like other high school sports, the tennis team has a limit on the number of days each player can miss.

“[Each player is] allowed to miss eight days for tournaments,” head tennis coach Erica Dopson said. “But that does not include the playoffs.”

The main difference in matches when comparing the spring and fall seasons are the length and styles. Instead of playing one or two matches and collectively winning as a team, spring tournaments are played individually.

“The tournaments take all day,” Dopson said. “Each match in tennis last around 1-2 hrs. In order to complete a tournament, it must take the entire day.”

Staying up to date on school work and making up tests or quizzes can be one of the main downfalls of competing.

“It can impact my grade a little bit when I’m absent from lessons, which makes it harder to understand and catch up sometimes,” freshman Kayla Baker said.

Although missing school for some may be a stressful experience, others find it a pleasant time for the team to bond and escape from the pressures of school.

“I don’t really mind missing school for tennis,” junior Laisha Chopra said. “It’s a fun and bonding experience for us as a team and individually.”