Choir hopes to strike a chord at UIL

Choir+students+off+to+UIL+this+weekend.+

Choir students off to UIL this weekend.

Melody Tavallaee, Staff Reporter

Choir hopes to show off their skills while competing at UIL this weekend aiming to make this year’s competition their best.

“I think this year has the potential to be our best year,” choir director Bruce Stevenson said. “We have a bigger choir, we’ve worked harder, it’s a more balanced choir, I think it shows off what we can do; so I think out of my 11 years, I think that end result could be being able to listen to a recording and look back and maybe even see the scores that say ‘this is the best work you’ve ever done.”

Choir students have been working extensively to improve their skills with the hopes of meeting their goals in this competition.

“We’ve been doing a lot of digging into each piece, like just really drilling in and reiterating dynamics, pronunciation, and breath markings. We sing our UIL songs at least three times every rehearsal in order to make sure we do everything we’re supposed to do because practice makes “perfect” if you will,” junior Annabel Rejzovic said. “In the past we haven’t been able to meet our exact goals, but I have confidence in us this year because everyone has really improved and we got some really great freshmen and sophomores that add a lot to our group as a whole.”

Senior Andrea Cobos feels well prepared and looks forward to singing alongside fellow choir members at UIL.

“I’m always excited to spend the day with friends and to sing,” senior Andrea Cobos said. “We’ve been working for so long that I don’t really have a reason to be nervous.”

Ultimately, Stevenson hopes students approach UIL as an opportunity to display all their hard work and dedication to singing.

“I would love to get all ones. I would love to get sweepstakes. That would be just a crowning moment for us,” Stevenson said. “Always more important to me than students thinking ‘I have to get a one’ is ‘I want to sing this the very best that I can sing this’.”