Track takes the District meet by storm

The+track+team+will+compete+in+the+District+13-5A+meet+Friday+and+Saturday+to+decide+who+will+advance+to+Area.+

provided by Amelia Jauregui

The track team will compete in the District 13-5A meet Friday and Saturday to decide who will advance to Area.

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

One step closer to the statewide goal of advancing to the State meet, track will take both their varsity and junior varsity team to the District 13-5A meet at Memorial Stadium on Friday and Saturday. However, with the DFW area said to be one of the toughest areas for sports in Texas, moving through the next few rounds will be easier said than done.

A desire to run in the District meet was stripped away for senior Alex Poole as he pulled his hamstring at the last meet, but will be cheering his team on.

“What I’m expecting from this meet is hopefully we can win district this year,” Poole said via text. “The past two years we have came in second place to Heritage so hopefully this year that will change. Actually I’m not running in this meet because last meet I pulled my hamstring, sadly, during one of my races but I’m running track in college so once I get better I’ll start preparing for that.”

Only four athletes from each event will move on to Area raising the stakes of the meet. Being apart of the cross country girls’ state champion, sophomore Amelia Jauregui hopes that their success will carry over despite the differences in the sport.

“I think that my work ethic has really been helpful due to cross country,” Jauregui said. “I know what it takes to be a state champion but I know it’s much harder to make it to state so I’m not going to be disappointed if I don’t make it to State. I’m just going to try to make it as far as I can and just continuing to get new PRs and just be proud of my own performance.”