Showcasing their learning through choreography

Olivia Howard, Guest Contributor

• Practicing in the hallway, sophomores Bonnie Nicholas and Gia Pernice work on their original routine.

• After doing a pirouette, sophomore Rileigh Horcher gets ready for her next move.

• Warming up in class, sophomores, Rileigh Horcher, Andres Venegas, and Aliyah Clark get ready to rehearse their dance.

• Dance students will have the chance to learn at the college level as some students will travel to Collin College on Monday, March 2, 2020. Students will have the opportunity to sit in on a dance class of their choice such as hip hop, ballet, contemporary, jazz, and modern.

• Working on different moves in their routines, sophomores, Bonnie Nicholas and Gia Pernice practice their original choreography.

• Sophomores, Bonnie Nicholas and Gia Pernice practice in the mirror.

• Sophomore Marissa Clark does a Grand Jeté in front of the numerous awards won by Red Rhythm, the school’s dance team.

Choreographing their own pieces is the latest assignment for Dance I classes on campus, utilizing technique students have learned about and practiced all year.

“I love to start this project because I get to see all of the talented students show the choreography skills and creativity,” dance teacher Nicole Nothe said.  “There is nothing more special than to see them working together and creating a memorable performance. Also creating an environment that is student-centered learning and encourages higher order thinking skills such as problem-solving, creating movement and communication.”

Students in various dance classes have the choice of either doing a solo, duet or trio, also getting to choose the style of dance and music they would like to perform their dance to.

“I think that overall the project is a little intimidating at first,” freshmen O’Brien Hall said. “Since students know they will be required to present their dance to the rest of the class, but having the opportunity to work with your friends does seem to help.”

Even creating their own costumes to wear during the performance to match the theme of their dance. Students are even given the opportunity to design and create their own costumes that match the theme and style of the dance.

“I love to start this project because I get to see all of the talented students show the choreography skills and creativity,” dance teacher Nicole Nothe said.  “There is nothing more special than to see them working together and creating a memorable performance.”

Eventually, once all dances have been completely choreographed and polished students and their groups will perform their routine to the rest of the class and their teachers.

“This project really is a good one to take part in,” freshmen Medha Gupta said. “We get to take all of the things that we have learned all year and create something that represents who we are.”