• Red Rhythm Spring Show Saturday in auditorium at 7 p.m.

• Frisco ISD Visual Arts Show at FISD admin building ends Friday at 5 p.m.

• AP testing begins May 7

• Limited number of yearbooks are available for $75 at www.smart-pay.com

• The next Redhawk Rant is Thursday

Carving their creativity

Anya Thakur, Staff Reporter

Freshman Catherine Tong works on refining the details of her ice cream block design.

Pre-AP art carves into linoleum blocks in their latest project, after designing compositions for the six-by-six blocks, proceeding to roll them in paint and press the pieces onto paper to create detailed prints.

“The class designed three compositions, which would each evoke an emotion,” Pre-AP Art teacher Hillary Wysong said. “And after I chose their best one, they transferred them onto the linoleum blocks and carved and gouged out parts of the block. Then they inked their carvings and pressed them onto copy paper to create their final artwork. The tools we used helped create different line quality and thicknesses and sharp and clear lines, so the final products turned out very well.”

Using rollers, inking trays, and brayers throughout the process, the tools enabled students to create a dynamic array of pieces, ranging from fantasy landscapes to figures or everyday objects.

“We could make anything we wanted in this project,” freshman Shivani Holla said. “Even though they were difficult to carve, the tools didn’t limit us, and this was pretty fun.”

The prints were refined as more copies were made, for a series of four final prints, each print unique and different from its predecessors.

“We continued carving and editing our printing blocks until we achieved the results we wanted,” freshman Safa Ashraf said. “Each one turned out a little different due to things such as how much ink we used or how hard we pressed. It was a learning experience.”