Featured Athlete: Erica Schlaegel

Grade: 12 | Sport: Softball

provided by Erica Schlaegel

Starting softball freshman year, senior Erica Schlaegel switched from volleyball after finding her new passion.

Wingspan: How long have you been playing softball and what got you started?

Schlaegel: “I started softball my freshman year. I was originally a volleyball player for my whole life and then freshman year they needed more players for the softball team. I was like oh why not I’ll try it out, and then I ended up loving it. I played on JV my freshman and sophomore year and then the end of my sophomore year I was able to be on varsity. That’s when I decided to stop playing volleyball and focus on softball. My junior year and senior year I was the starting right fielder.”

Wingspan: What fuels your passion to play?

Schlaegel: “I guess what fuels my passion is just the fact that I’ve been playing for so long, and it makes me want to work harder because the other girls on the team have been playing since they were little. So I have this drive to work as hard as them and prove that I’m just as capable as they are even though I haven’t been playing as long.”

Wingspan: Who inspires you to succeed in your personal life?

Schlaegel: “Definitely my parents. They’re just really supportive and my dad grew up playing baseball, so he’s helped me a lot when I’m struggling with hitting or fielding. He’s just really supportive with that. They come to every single one of my games, it’s really encouraging and even when I have a bad game they’re always there to life me up.”

Wingspan: What is something that motivates you and pumps you up before a game?

Schlaegel: “It sounds funny, but I like to goof around and not take it so seriously before a game. I just kind of relax and mess around with my friends and make jokes to not be so serious. Obviously focus is crucial, but I like to goof around and have fun.”

Wingspan: What is something that you want to improve on?

Schlaegel: “Definitely hitting that’s where I can see the difference between me and the other girls. Some of the faster pitchers sometimes I struggle with that.”

Wingspan: What is your favorite part about softball?

Schlaegel: “My favorite part about softball is probably my teammates honestly. Being able to play with them, it’s just realy fun. It’s a fun sport.”

Wingspan: What has been one of your greatest accomplishments?

Schlaegel: “For me personally I see going from a little freshman who came out and had no idea how to throw a ball or how to hit. To now, being a starting varsity player who plays the whole game. It’s a really big accomplishment for me and it makes me proud of myself, but I know it’s not just me; It’s God also who helped me work hard and get to this point.”