Track gears up for state

Kyle Strickland

Senior Carrie Fish advances to state alongside junior Nissi Kabongo after setting a new personal record of 4:59 in the 1600m race at the regional meet.

Kasey Harvey, Sports Editor

Nine of 16 athletes advanced out of Thursday’s area track meet at Memorial Stadium, bring them one step away from their main goal: state.

On the boys side, five will advance including sophomore Jahson Ferguson, junior Andrew Ashmore, freshman Bryson Wyatt, and sophomore Anthony Ortiz for the 4×400 meter relay and junior Josh Burtch in discus.

For Burtch, this will be his first time at regionals as he attempts to outlast the 36 guys in his event across Texas.

“The competition is really high so I’m nervous that I won’t be able to step up to the standards,” Burtch said. “This is my first time in area or in regionals. I’m just working on trying to master my event; really getting down in the technicalities about what I need to be able to do at regionals.”

Senior Carrie Fish set a new personal record in the two mile race, crossing the line in 10:49. Qualifying for regionals in both the one mile and two mile, Fish is ready for her second shot at a State title.

“I think I did really well,” Fish said. “I was definitely a little bit disappointed getting third in the two mile just because I was really going for second in both of my races. I was also very happy with both of my times because I knew I could hit them.”

Athletes advancing to regionals:

Sanye Ford- long jump

Adrienne Taylor- Discus

Carrie Fish- 2 mile, 1 mile

Nissi Kabongo- 800, high jump

Josh Burtch- Discus

Jahson Ferguson- 4×400 Relay

Andrew Ashmore- 4×400 Relay

Bryson Wyatt- 4×400 Relay

Anthony Ortiz- 4×400 Relay