Cakes become art in bake off battle

Jae Lee

Jae Lee, WTV Staff Reporter

Following the crumbs left over from cupcake wars, students in food science and culinary arts classes participated in their next competition: Cake Wars.

While the Cupcake Wars were based on multiple traits including taste, look, and the ability to work together, Cake Wars is a contest strictly based on appearance to see which group can make the best looking cake.

I’d say a cake is harder to make than a cupcake because there is less room to mess up on a cake actually there’s more room to mess up on a cake.”  said senior Zack Alami “Cupcakes they’re just smaller easier to decorate i guess quicker to make. I love a good cupcake.”

Students needed to have a decoration planned out beforehand so they could get to work immediately as soon as the timer starts.

Just like the TV show, there were judges to grade the cakes.

The group with the most creative and best looking design is crowned the winner.

These competitions are a great way for students to showcase their skills and knowledge.

“So our students are learning the chemistry of baking and so particularly we are talking about cakes. They learn different things like how cake rises, use of leavening agents.” said culinary arts teacher Nija Higgins ,“We talk about starches. We talk about protein and what the eggs are used for, what salt is used for and so forth. And then our inspiration for the activity so kids can actually see the unit come alive we decided to do Cake Wars. The kids get a chance to actually mimic the cake show.”