Say it Louder: Friendships shouldn’t end due to different opinions

Whether+it%27s+something+about+school%2C+being+a+student%2C+or+a+social+issue%2C+columnist+Emma+Cramption+tries+to+make+sure+her+message+is+heard+in+her+weekly+column+%22Say+it+Louder%22.+

Whether it's something about school, being a student, or a social issue, columnist Emma Cramption tries to make sure her message is heard in her weekly column

Whether it's something about school, being a student, or a social issue, columnist Emma Cramption tries to make sure her message is heard in her weekly column "Say it Louder".

Dea-Mallika Divi

Dea-Mallika Divi

The beauty of having friends is not being the same. It’s embracing each other’s differences. And the reality is that if you truly love someone, you support them and stay by their side whether you agree with what they’re doing with their life or not.”

There are many factors into deciding what type of people you want to enter into your life. A lot of the time it’s things like interests, morals, and things of that nature. Sometimes though, you build a relationship with someone and your minds enter two different places as you grow up and develop different opinions.

But this doesn’t have to be the end of an ongoing relationship. For instance, say someone is really religious and the other isn’t. The friend who isn’t as religious may make some life choices that the religious friend doesn’t partake in. And that’s okay. You and your friends don’t have to have every single thing in common and have the same opinion on everything.

The beauty of having friends is not being the same. It’s embracing each other’s differences. And the reality is that if you truly love someone, you support them and stay by their side whether you agree with what they’re doing with their life or not.

I don’t base my friendship choices on the similarities we have. I’m friends with the people I am simply because I value them as people. If any of them started doing things I didn’t agree with, I would stick with them and even try to help them if it was something truly destructive.

The problem with people now is they are so quick to drop people and cut them out of their lives as soon as any sort of differences or conflicts arise. But that’s not how life works. People are different and nobody lives the same life.

Emma Crampton, Opinion Editor

Emma Crampton is a senior (finally yay!) who loves writing, singing, and being surrounded by people she loves. She loves just about everybody too so chances...