• No school Friday for Staff Development Day

• No school Feb. 18 for President's Day

With eyes on fall, spring ball starts for football

Kicking+off+its+2018+season+Friday+night%2C+the+Redhawks+travel+to+Garland+to+take+on+North+Garland+High+School+starting+at+7+p.m.+Friday%27s+game+is+the+first+of+three+non-district+games+to+start+the+season.+

Kicking off its 2018 season Friday night, the Redhawks travel to Garland to take on North Garland High School starting at 7 p.m. Friday's game is the first of three non-district games to start the season.

Mady Daddario

Mady Daddario

Mady Daddario

Although the 2018 football season begins in August, practice is already underway as juniors, sophomores, and freshmen began spring practice on Wednesday.

“It just give you an opportunity to evaluate your personnel before fall rolls around,” head football coach Chris Burtch said. “It gives you an opportunity to install and look at your offense, your defense, and try to figure out what’s gonna fit your new team and their personality and what they’re capable of.”

Even though the team will take a two month break at the start of summer, players will keep in shape for the upcoming with strength and conditioning camps.

WIth Frisco schools split into different districts, do you think the Redhawks will make the playoffs in 2018?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

“It allows everyone to rest a little bit and have some time off which I think is really important,” Burtch said. “With summer strength and conditioning programs that we have in place that’s a big part of summer for successful football teams you’ve gotta come in on a pretty regular basis and lift and run and get ready.”

However, by having spring practices, the team can’t have it’s first August practice until the second Monday of August according to UIL rules. With school starting this year on Aug. 16, that means the team can’t have it’s first fall practice until Aug. 13, placing a premium on spring ball.

“It’s really important because it’s practice for fall ball and if we don’t practice, then we are not going to be prepared for fall ball,” sophomore Brandon Runge said. “We have a chance for the playoffs this year and we really want to focus on making it to playoffs this year and not just winning one game. It’s more important to us now.”

After completing their last season in their high school career in November, current seniors do not participate in spring practice, making room for next year’s leaders to step up.

“It helps us get set up for next year,” junior Ryan Coyne said. “They call us the seniors because that’s what we are going to be next year. We have to lead everyone and lead warmups and stuff like that.”

Kasey Harvey, Editor-in-Chief

Kasey Harvey is a junior and is starting her third year of Wingspan with this being her first as editor-in-chief. She enjoys finding local hotspots whether...